After toxins, vaccines, and milk, I’m ready to face another worthy opponent: Gluten.
Or rather the absence of gluten, as many people seem to believe that it’s a good idea to remove it from their diet. Truth be told, for some people, avoiding gluten is a necessity, especially for those who suffer from celiac disease.
Because celiac disease is strongly under-diagnosed, it would be cool to hear more about it… but nowadays, we constantly hear stuff like:
- Gluten is a useless toxin
- Eating gluten-free is healthier
- Eating gluten-free makes you lose weight
- Gluten causes digestive disorders in all people
- Gluten-free food is more organic
- Wheat was genetically modified, resulting in more gluten
- Eating gluten-free is easy
Yet all of these statements are pretty much FALSE.
Do you want to hear more about the topic? You’re in luck: I made a comic that contradicts each of the aforementioned statements! What a coincidence.
To make this project possible, I have had the privilege of collaborating with dietitian Sarah Le, a nutrition scientist specializing in weight management and sports nutrition. She also taught me tons of new words, like “sorghum” and “manioc”!
This comic strip is not intended for two types of people:
- People suffering from celiac disease, as diagnosed by a physician. Gluten is toxic for you, so removing it completely is your only option.
- People who have stopped eating gluten for any reason and deem their health is much better since. I don’t intend to change your mind; after all, you know your body better than anyone else.
This comic is rather intended for the vast majority of people who ask themselves:
‘‘Why is everyone tripping about gluten?!’’
Translation by Hadrien Laforest, proofreading by Lauren Knight.
15 responses to “Let’s put an end to the GLUTEN-FREE trend”
Pingback: The life cycle of a fad diet - The PharmafistThe Pharmafist
Pingback: Siaubūnas glitimas – ŠIAIP TAI